Thursday, March 12, 2009

Masked Rider


The masked rider has been a symbol of Texas Tech for over 6 decades! Originally known as ghost riders, the mascot has been a source of school spirit and loyalty dating back to before the school was recognized as a state university. George Tate and Arch Lamb began the tradition with stealing a horse from the Tech's dairy barn in 1936. Tate described being the masked rider as "just like a phantom. I didn't want to stay either because I wasn't supposed to have the horse. It was top secret. We never spoke of it. Even my roommate- I'm sure he knew it was me, but he never mentioned it." You can still see the masked rider at football games as well as in the statue dedicated to the long standing symbol of Texas Tech's pride.
Information provided by: Texas Tech University

1 comment: